Reason 1: (Health & Beauty Benefits)
The majority of our bodies are composed of water. We needs these fluids for EVERYTHING (i.e. circulation, digestion, absorbing nutrients, making saliva, and maintaining our body temperature!) Drinking water can actually make us look younger. Instead of using moisturizes that only get to the surface of your skin, water actually hydrates our skin from the inside out and reduces the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
Reason 2: (Smarter & Stronger)
In order for our brains to function at higher levels, it needs a lot of oxygen. When you drink water, it carries oxygen to the different cells of your body. So by drinking 8-10 cups a day your brain has all the oxygen it needs, which can increase our cognitive function by 30%. Water also keeps our muscles properly hydrated. That means we can exercise for a longer period of time before muscle fatigue (caused by lack of oxygen in your muscles) sets in, which allows us build more muscle with fewer trips to the gym.
Reason 3: (Lose Weight In A Good Way)
Drinking water can also help us to lose weight, not because it has super weight loss or fat burning power, but because by keeping our bodies properly hydrated it reduces our bodies’ tendency to hold on to excess water. So drinking water can actually help you get rid of water weight. It’s weird, I know, but it is true. Also we can cut a lot of calories out of your diet by drinking water instead of other high calorie drinks such as soda, energy drinks, or coffee. Oh, and did I mention staying properly hydrated also helps to suppress your appetite? Because it does.
Tips & Tricks for Drinking More Water
- Make it a bet! Bet your spouse, friends, or co workers to see who can drink more water throughout the day.
- Drink out of a cup or bottle that also measures how much liquid is in it so you can keep track of how much you are drinking.
- Drink a glass of water when you leave the bathroom.
- Drink a glass of water every hour. Set a reminder or alarm if you need to.
- Carry a refillable water bottle with you everywhere you go, and take sips when you get bored or are waiting on something.
- Make it fancy! Drink water out of a wine glass, or super fancy cup, or bottle. Have fun with it.
- Drink water every time you eat, whether it be snacks or a meal drink water.
- Whenever you feel hungry, before you start snacking drink a glass of water and find out if you are really hungry, or thirsty, or just bored.
- Drink a glass of water when you wake up in the morning. It will also help you wake up.
- Whenever you drink juice, water it down. Start with a little water and work your way up.
- When you are working, keep a refillable water bottle or cup full of water on your desk and drink it throughout the day.
- Drink a glass of water before you leave the house.
- Substitute hot water with lemon and/or honey for tea or coffee.
- Spice it up! Try adding different flavors to your water. (i.e. fruit or veggie slices, mint, or flavored powders) You can also freeze pre-sliced fruits and veggies and use them instead of ice cubes.
- Tell yourself you must drink one cup of water before you indulge in a sugary beverage.
- Set a goal for yourself and a consequence for not reaching it, as well as a reward for when you do.
- Make water a part of your routine, whenever you are doing anything that you do routinely, add a water bottle to the equation. Whether your cleaning, reading, watching TV, or running errands its super easy to keep a refillable water bottle with you.